Rosacea is a chronic and widespread facial disorder that afflicts more than 16 million Americans. It is an adult, acne-like skin condition that commonly affects the central part of the face. Although incurable, we can control and medically manage rosacea.
The earliest signs are often overlooked because people think they are temporary and will go away. But, if you have any of these, it’s wise to seek medical attention:
- facial blushing or flushing
- tiny red pimples or fine red vascular lines on the facial skin
- an enlarged, bulbous red nose
- eye problems, such as swollen or red eyelids
If you have rosacea, you’ll likely have redness on your face:
- It may show up as flushing that lasts a little longer each time. Without treatment, this redness can become permanent.
- Permanent redness happens from visible blood vessels.
Seek Medical Help
Don’t self-diagnosis. Rosacea may be mistaken for rosy cheeks, sunburn, as well as acne. Untreated, rosacea tends to worsen over time. Prompt recognition and proper treatment help people with rosacea enjoy life.
Reduce Rosacea Flare-Ups
Even when you treat rosacea, triggers can make your face red. You can prevent this by learning what triggers your rosacea and making some lifestyle changes.
- Protect from the sun. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher every day, and avoid extended sun exposure.
- Reduce stress. Find ways to manage your stress. It’s good for you and will help keep rosacea flare-ups under control.
- Avoid overheating. This includes your exercise routine, avoiding hot bathing (warm is better), and even avoiding spicy foods.
- Select skin care products carefully. Many products contain ingredients that can irritate or even cause rosacea flare-ups. Better safe than sorry. Let us help you choose the right skin products for you.
Here for your dermatological needs
Proper skin care requires daily maintenance and a well-conceived plan for your particular skin type, lifestyle, and needs. We provide both medical and cosmetic dermatological services. Please feel free to contact us to make an appointment.