It’s fall, and that means it’s the perfect time to switch from your summer products to those better for colder weather. Just as you should have done a spring cleaning to replace cosmetics and go lighter for the summer, the end of Daylight Saving Time is when you need to switch to products that will protect your skin and hair against Chicago’s cold, dry autumn and winter months.
It’s about time to swap your lightweight summer staples to more appropriate fall products. Check out these tips:
- Moisturize! Switch to a more hydrating moisturizer cream or lotion, and use it from head to toe. The best time to apply moisturizer is when your skin is still a bit damp right after your shower or bath.
- Face It! The facial moisturizer you used in the summer just won’t cut it in the fall. Switch to a more moisturizing one.
- Hands Down! Your hands get lots of exposure. You’ll want to use a good hand cream, and add a cuticle oil to your routine.
- Cover Up! With sunscreen, that is. You’ve heard me say this and it’s worth repeating: always use a sunscreen of at least SPF 30 regardless of the temperature or UV level.
- Protect your lips! The best plan is to prevent your lips from drying out and cracking. I recommend using non-irritating lip balms, moisturizer, and lipsticks. And, always make sure they include sun-protective ingredients.
- Stay hydrated! Drinking plenty of water is just as important in the cooler weather as it is in summer.
Here are tips for hair:
- Condition! Really. There are many shampoos and conditioners that have moisture-balancing formulas. These are often infused with replenishing nutrients to protect and maintain your hair’s natural moisture balance and are designed to promote healthy and more manageable hair.
- Mask It! Hair masks are high-powered hair conditioners that deeply nourish and strengthen hair. As the weather cools down, using a mask once a week can make a big difference.
- Volumize! Humidity equals big hair. But as the temperature and humidity decrease, your hair may go flat. Boost it up with a volumizer.
Here for your dermatological needs
We are here for all your cosmetic and medical dermatologic needs.