Healthy skin care tips
Here are some tips from the American Academy of Dermatology:
- Wash your face every day and after exercising. Use a mild cleanser and lukewarm water.
- Use an antiperspirant, rather than a deodorant, to reduce sweating.
- Determine your skin type — oily, dry, combination, normal or sensitive — and choose skin care products tailored to that type.
- Examine your skin regularly for new or unusual spots, as well as anything changing, itching or bleeding.
- Protect your skin from the sun by seeking shade, wearing protective clothing, and using a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Prevent blisters and corns on your feet by making sure your shoes fit properly.
- Wear nylon or moisture-wicking socks, and keep your toenails trimmed.
- Moisturize daily. Apply lotion or cream while your skin is still damp from bathing to lock in moisture and get the best results.
- Don’t forget your lips! Your lips need as much protection as the rest of your skin. Use lip balm with SPF, and apply generously, especially in the dry winter months when lips can become very chapped and sore.
Always make an appointment to see us if you notice anything suspicious on your skin or if you have a question about skin care.
Changing season; Changing skin care needs
As the weather changes and we move indoors, it’s even more important to remember that some of the products you used during warmer weather may need adjusting or replacing for the colder, windier Chicago winter.
Here for your dermatological needs
I provide both medical and cosmetic dermatological services. Please feel free to contact us to make an appointment.