November is National Healthy Skin Month. Of course, it’s important to keep your skin in good shape all year-round, and this is a great time to remind you of the basics of good skin care.
Healthy skin care tips to live by
- Wash your face with a mild cleanser and lukewarm water. Do this every day and after exercising.
- Keep wearing your mask; wash and moisturize when you remove it…or as often as possible.
- Do you know your skin type? Is it oily, dry, combination, normal or sensitive? Choose skin care products tailored to your type.
- Examine your skin regularly for new or unusual spots, as well as anything changing, itching, or bleeding.
- Protect your skin from the sun by seeking shade, wearing protective clothing, and using a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Prevent blisters and corns on your feet by making sure your shoes fit properly.
- Moisturize daily. Apply lotion or cream while your skin is still damp from bathing to lock in moisture and get the best results.
- Remember your lips! Your lips need as much protection as the rest of your skin. Use lip balm with SPF, and apply generously, especially as our weather gets colder and drier. This helps prevent chapped and sore lips.
Always make an appointment with us if you notice anything suspicious on your skin or if you have questions about your skin care.
Changing season; Changing skin care needs
As the weather gets colder, drier and we spend much more time indoors, it’s even more important to remember that you may need to replace some of the products you used during warmer weather for more appropriate ones for the colder, windier Chicago winter.
Here for your dermatological needs
I provide both medical and cosmetic dermatological services. Please feel free to contact us to make an appointment.