As the year comes to a close, many people make resolutions. As you get ready for 2022, we hope you plan to make and keep a few very important new year’s resolutions for your skin care. There are a few key things you can do to improve your skin in the coming year.
It’s easy to make resolutions, but not always easy sticking to them. Here are five things we hope you’ll commit to and stick with throughout the year:
- Wear sunscreen: Even in the winter months, when the sun is less prominent, it is important to wear a sunscreen with of at least 30 SPF every time you go outside or even when you sit near a window where the sun shines in. Prevention is key to avoiding skin cancer, as well as premature aging. After all, who wants wrinkles or age spots? No one!
- Drink more water: We can’t say this enough: Water is your friend so keep drinking it! Your skin will thank you. Also, since we tend to be less active in the colder months, this could help suppress your appetite and prevent some winter weight gain. You might even lose a pound or two — bonus!!
- Examine your skin: Everyone should check their skin routinely. If you notice any changes — especially in a mole or unusual skin growth — get it checked by us. Even if you don’t see any changes, you should still have an annual skin exam. As a professional dermatologist, I often find growths that either require immediate attention or something that needs to be watched over time. For patients with a personal history of skin cancer, increase your professional exams to every 6 months.
- Update your skin care regimen: If you’re still using lightweight summer products, you’ll want to switch to more emollient ones designed for our cold and dry Chicago winter. And, if you haven’t changed your regime for years, it’s definitely time for a change!
- Treat yourself to a great treatment: Peels, facials, microneedling, and more — we offer the full range of procedures to help your skin glow! Now’s the perfect time to set up a customized schedule for the new year.
Here for your dermatological needs
I provide both medical and cosmetic dermatological services. Please feel free to contact us to make an appointment.