Stress! It affects your mind and body. We don’t have to tell you that stress also affects your skin by creating more frequent breakouts, increased sensitivity, and difficulty healing.
Many patients comment that they don’t understand why they have acne even though they are not teens. Increased stress is often a contributing factor for many adults.
Hives are sometimes caused by known factors or allergens. They can also occur for unknown reasons. Sometimes, hives are simply caused by stress.
Chronic Skin Conditions
If you suffer from psoriasis, rosacea, or eczema, you may find that increased stress exacerbates your symptoms.
What to do?
Telling you not to stress isn’t exactly a realistic solution. But there are ways you can reduce your stress that are good for your skin and every other part of you. Here are five simple things you can do to lower your stress and improve your overall well-being:
- Breathe Deeply: Take a five-minute break and do simple breathing. Slowly inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Repeat.
- Move! Exercise. If you already do this, add something relaxing. Great stress busters include taking a walk, doing yoga, and stretching.
- Meditate: Lots of people love meditation; others find it difficult. There are now many apps available for your smart phone that offer guided meditation. Try one; you may find you really like it.
- Laugh: There may not have been much to laugh about lately, but you’ll discover that laughing is a great stress reliever. Watch a funny movie or program; read something funny; share a cartoon with friends. Anything that makes you laugh will help lower your stress level.
- Be Grateful: Although we may have been filled with dread and negative feelings these past months, it’s time to focus on the positive. One technique is to keep a gratitude journal and write down all the good things in your life. Too busy for that? Just tell someone in your world—whether in physical contact or virtual— why you’re grateful for them.
Here for all your dermatological needs
We are here for all your cosmetic and medical dermatologic needs. Please feel free to contact us to make an appointment.